If you live and work in the UK, knowing which types of income are taxable and which are exempt is crucial for your financial health.

In this issue, we have listed the types of income that different groups need to report, for your reference.

This list will also help you plan your finances better and ensure tax compliance.

Wages and Salaries

In the UK, wages and salaries paid by employers are subject to income tax.

This includes basic pay, bonuses, allowances, and more.

Employers typically deduct tax through the PAYE (Pay As You Earn) system.

If you have additional income or complex circumstances, you may need to file a self-assessment tax return.


Self-Employment Income

All income earned by self-employed individuals is taxable, including income from clients or customers.

As a self-employed person, you need to submit a self-assessment tax return and pay income tax and National Insurance contributions.

Some expenses can be exempt from tax, so ask our team for a detailed assessment.

This ensures you comply with all tax regulations and avoid future penalties and interest.

Rental Income

If you rent out property, rental income is taxable.

After deducting allowable expenses, you need to report your net income.

If your total income exceeds a certain threshold, you will need to register for self-assessment.

With proper tax planning, you can legally reduce your taxable rental income.


Investment Income

Investment income includes dividends, interest, and capital gains.

Dividends and interest income are taxable if they exceed certain limits, while capital gains tax applies when you sell assets (such as stocks or property).

If your gains exceed the annual exemption, you will need to pay capital gains tax.

Investors should regularly review their portfolios to maximise after-tax returns.


Pension Income

Income from private pensions, workplace pensions, and the State Pension is usually taxable.

When you receive your pension, you may need to pay tax based on your personal income tax rate.

Retirees should understand the tax implications of different pension sources to ensure financial stability in retirement.


Other Income

Other types of income, such as gambling winnings, inheritance, and overseas income, may also need to be reported depending on specific circumstances.

Overseas landlords must be aware of their obligation to pay tax on rental income in the UK.

Non-residents must report their overseas income to HMRC and pay tax accordingly.

For detailed advice, please consult our team.